Taking Life One Step At A Time

Taking Life One Step At  A Time

Sunday, August 9, 2009

Global Leadership: Lessons Learned

This past week Josh and I attended the Leadership Summit at Willow Creek in Chicago. I honestly didn't have any expectations going in - except that parts may bore me to death. Thankfully that wasn't the case in any of the sessions!! On the contrary, I learned so very much!

The main theme of the summit this year was on leading globally. So, instead of just leading in our church or business, we were encouraged to expand that to our community and eventually across the world. There was a big focus on Africa too. Honestly it felt a bit like God was hitting me upside the head with a shovel! Josh and I have been talking about taking a trip to Kenya for a few months now. He's been invited by a pastor there to come and speak. While we've gone back and forth about the idea, it was obvious to us both that God brought us to this particular conference in order to open our eyes to how we could be of service to believers in Kenya.

Of course, God also challenged me on finding ways to reach out to the community of Evansville. I think with homeschooling this fall, the kids and I will have more opportunity to reach out to others. What does this look like practically? Well, I'm not sure yet. But I am praying that God will show me what he wants me to do - what needs to change in the way that I arrange my priorities and how I can better love those who I see so often around town.

I'm so thankful to have a husband who knew I needed this and who suggested again and again that I attend. Beyond the benefit of the conference, it was great for us to have some time away. We needed that time of uninterrupted conversation to catch up on the many things that get shoved to the back burner here at home. And I love that he even planned an extra bit in the budget for me to buy books that will be helpful to me both at home and in the ministry. Thanks, Josh!! I love you.

{Are you looking for a practical way to help Africa? Here are two: 1.Go to kiva.org and provide a loan for an entrepeneur somewhere in the world and help them get on their own two feet. 2. If you are a coffee drinker, try drinking some Good African Coffee. This coffee is made in Africa and the profits benefit those growing and processing the coffee. For more info look at goodafrican.com }

No comments:

Post a Comment