Taking Life One Step At A Time

Taking Life One Step At  A Time

Saturday, April 28, 2012

Glory Days




My locker was cleared out, the yearbook signed, and the tassel on my graduation cap had been switched to the left side signifying my new status as a graduate.

Hallelujah! I was out of high school! And not a day too soon.

I'm not one of those that gets sentimental about my high school days. I wouldn't EVER choose to go back and relive them. In fact, I couldn't wait to shake the dust off my feet and move on.

My lack of nostalgia doesn't stem from any obvious reason. I wasn't bullied, I didn't get poor grades or struggle academically. I had great friends and was involved in several activities. Still, I didn't find high school enjoyable. I hated the cliques, the pettiness. I was restless to move on.

I see so many of my contemporaries look back on high school as the good old days. They actively seek out other classmates (even the ones they didn't like), reminisce about the great events of those four years, and long for the days when their bodies were at the peak of fitness.

Now, I could do with a little less baby weight. And I'd be thrilled to get rid of the aches and pains of aging. But I wouldn't go back for anything.

Why?

Because I'm in my glory days. I'm living my dream right now. I spend each day with my favorite people. I don't have to worry about the dating game, but can rest in the assurance that a man loves me faithfully and completely.

I'm living life at break-neck speed. Often lamenting the fact that I can't get it all done, longing for more hours of sleep, sometimes covered in baby drool, and frequently laughing at situations I could never have imagined.

I have toys on the floor, laundry that sat in the washer overnight, dirty dishes in the sink, and about a million unfinished projects. And yet, I'm happy.

These are the days I'll look back on with great joy. I'll long to smell a freshly bathed baby, hear the silly words of a toddler, witness the look of understanding dawn on a child's face as they understand a new concept, pray with a little one frightened by the storm, marvel at the maturity of a pre-teen, and feel little arms wrap around my neck in a tight squeeze.

Nomatter how tired I am, nomatter how dirty the house, nomatter how time consuming it is to teach right from wrong ... I will choose to revel in these days. Because they are going fast. Before long, I'll be looking back and saying "Remember when ..."

Today is the day that the Lord has made. I will rejoice and be glad in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment