Taking Life One Step At A Time

Taking Life One Step At  A Time

Friday, February 8, 2013

Soul Comfort




We arrived home this afternoon from a wonderful week away. And while the vacation part was great, the odd schedule resulted in some whiny children. Our car ride home was quite an ordeal with a fussy baby who refused to nap or eat and who spent the latter part of the trip unhappily filling his diaper.

As soon as we got home I rushed him into the house and upstairs to change him. As he shivered and cried I talked gently to him trying to help him realize that we were HOME. I grabbed a blanket from his crib (we always turn the heat down when leaving for extended trips) and rocked him gently in our favorite chair. Almost immediately he calmed. He wrapped his chubby arms around me and laid his head on my shoulder. The whimpers and shivers ceased and his body relaxed.

We sat in the chair, rocking and cuddling, and I thought of what a difference the comfort of home can make. A specific chair, familiar sights, the safety of Mom's arms.

It brought to mind these verses from Psalm 27:4-5. One thing have I asked of the LORD, that will I seek after: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to inquire in his temple. For he will hide me in his shelter in the day of trouble; he will conceal me under the cover of his tent; he will lift me high upon a rock.

Doesn't this just give such a picture of comfort and joy? David's one desire was to be at home in the Lord's house. For him it provided shelter, safety, and encouragement. It was his familiar place.

Just as the familiarity of a favorite rocking chair and the four walls of our bedroom calmed my young son, time in the presence of the Lord ought to do the same for us. After a long, hard day moments spent in the Word will refresh and renew us. Quiet times of prayer will center our focus on the One who can calm our hearts and provide perspective. Placing ourselves in the lap of the Father wraps us in comfort and reminds us that we do not have to carry all the cares of this world. Someone else has offered to do that for us.

Jesus said, "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light." (Matthew 11:28-30)

Friend, lay down your burden. Give it up to the One who has offered to carry it. Rest, and take joy in His presence.

1 comment:

  1. These are exactly the words I needed today. I had become quite dependent on one person in my life, and people can and often do let us down. What I needed to be reminded of is that the Lord is our shelter, the rest for our weary souls. He will take our burdens and come along side to support us in our trials. I am so thankful for this truth of His constant presence and help.

    ReplyDelete