Taking Life One Step At A Time

Taking Life One Step At  A Time

Thursday, October 1, 2009

Less than stellar

I've been having a tough week. It did start off well though. Monday was terrific! We've decided that trying to do school on Mondays while Josh is taking his day off is just too much. He wasn't resting and we weren't getting time with him. So, this week we switched to a Tuesday to Saturday schedule. Great on Mondays, terrible on Saturdays. But worth it hopefully.

Anyway, on Tuesday, the awful part of the week began. I got really sick. It has turned into a nasty cold, but on Tuesday I was sure I was dying. I spent the majority of the day sleeping either in the bed or on the recliner. We somehow managed to get school done, but I couldn't tell you how - or what the kids were learning. Josh was at work, so I was trying to entertain the four kids by myself. Not fun. I'm much better by today (thursday), but it has been a long haul.

On top of that, the annual women's tea at church is this weekend. I organize the tea and make sure all details come together. Plus, I'm hosting a table and planning the menu. Needless to say, I don't have time to be sick. And, we're hosting the speaker and her fiance at our house for the weekend. I really want to be well - not just to have a healthy house for them to come to, but also so that I can enjoy their visit. I haven't seen this friend in about 15 years - maybe more.

And it gets better! Wednesday, we decided to try an art project that is really more of just a fun craft. The thing I had planned just wasn't going to work, so instead I decided to try making "bubble snakes" with the kids. I had seen the idea in Family Fun Magazine and had wanted to try it all summer. You cut the bottom off of a plastic bottle, wrap a washcloth around the bottom and secure it with a rubber band. Then, you dip the cloth in a dishsoap solution and blow through the bottle. It makes a really cool set of bubbles that snake to the floor. The kids loved it - except for one.

Although I had explained to the kids how to breathe out (and had even demonstrated it), I had one in particular who was determined to suck in. (And no, it was not my youngest!) As you can guess, he got a mouth and lung full of dishsoap! He then spent the next half hour spitting and crying and causing all sorts of trouble. So much for a fun craft. That ruined the fun for everyone. Ugh.

I knew not all weeks would be great with homeschooling, and we've definitely experienced a less-than-terrific week thus far. I've actually been dreading the first time of me being sick and having to teach. I'm glad it's behind me now and I have survived. The one thing that concerns me is that I'm now starting to lose my voice. Now that won't be good. How in the world do you control four crazy children with hand motions??!!! Oy.

No comments:

Post a Comment