Taking Life One Step At A Time

Taking Life One Step At  A Time

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Persistence

About a year ago, Haiti and Chile both endured horrific earthquakes. The effects were devastating to both countries and many people were rendered homeless.

Now, we don't typically let our kids watch the news because of some of the really scary stuff about murders, thefts, fires, rape, etc. However, when there are major world events happening, we often talk with the kids about it and ask them to be praying in specific ways.

One of our children's hearts was captured by the stories of these two earthquakes. Would you believe that he has diligently prayed DAILY for the people of Haiti and Chile?!! And not just them in general, but he also specifically prays for the orphans to find homes.

I was surprised after a month or two of his ongoing prayers. But even tonight as he prayed at bedtime, his heart was crying out to God for the Hatians and Chileans. Talk about persistence!

It makes me wonder what I'm persistent about it prayer. Is there anything that grabs me so completely that I pray daily for a YEAR about it? Hmmm.

Aside from praying for my children and husband daily, I really can't think of anything. Sure, there are things that I've prayed for for several years - salvation of loved ones, sanctification, healing, etc. But I can't claim that I've taken each of these requests so seriously that I have brought them to the Lord day in and day out.

Why not? The Bible tells us to be persistent in our prayers. To pray without ceasing. That God hears our prayers and answers them.

But if I'm honest, I would have to say that I am so very self-centered that I just don't think of what I should. My heart doesn't break for the things that break God's heart. My foremost desire is not often to cry out to God for the desires of my heart. To be sure, too often I try in my own strength to fix what I can. And once I've done all I can, then I'll cry out to God.

How backward I am! My first response should be to cry out to God. The One who holds all power in His hand. The One who created everything and everyone. And only after kneeling before His throne and begging for His grace and mercy should I then seek what He would have me do.

My son has it right. And I hope to learn from him.

No comments:

Post a Comment