Taking Life One Step At A Time

Taking Life One Step At  A Time

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Politics Schmolitics

Some days I find it really hard to keep my mouth shut.

Josh and I made a decision before entering the ministry that we would keep our political beliefs to ourselves. Oh sure, we vote and have our convictions, but we don't want to muddy the waters of our church by entering into political debates.

Sometimes that's hard though. Like when we invite people for dinner and they rant and rave about their personal convictions. Or in times such as this when there are so many people angry about a bill that will affect all government employees in our fair state.

I have friends that are strongly pushing for both sides of the issue. And although I can see the reasoning on both sides, I definitely lean heavier in one direction.

But I'm keeping my mouth shut.

The Bible says in Proverbs 12:15 "The way of a fool is right in his own eyes, but a wise man listens to advice."

I believe the Bible has the most accurate advice that we can get.

This is exactly why Josh and I refuse to get involved in political debate. We trust that as people grow deeper and stronger in the Word, they will be moved by the Spirit to make sound decisions. Our job as leaders in the church is not to guide people to follow us politically, but rather to guide them to Christ. If we can teach people to search and understand the Scriptures, then they will make wise choices.

So, that's where I fall politically. Not republican or democrat. But a Bible advice-seeker approaching the issues through prayer. As God's people, we need to cut through all the mud-slinging and anger and decide what would really be the most God-honoring response. Because when it's all said and done, shouldn't we be glorifying God even through our politics?

1 comment:

  1. Thank you! Those thoughts have been on my mind all week and I couldn't come up with a way to say it!

    ReplyDelete