Taking Life One Step At A Time

Taking Life One Step At  A Time

Friday, November 19, 2010

Savoring the music

I began teaching music to our homeschool group this fall. And surprisingly, I like it!

I'm not surprised by enjoying the music aspect. Rather the teaching 50 kids for two hours aspect.

I think I had forgotten my love of teaching music. It's what I trained to do. And when I decided to study to be a music teacher it was because I wanted to instill a love of and appreciation for music in kids.

Wednesday I taught this group for the second time. And it was so fun to see kids get excited about what they were learning. It was enriching to encourage children in their musical pursuits and to start dreams in others. Several parents are now telling me that their kids want to start instruments. Yay!

Unfortunately, music is one of the first things cut in public schools when the budget shrinks. In homeschools, music can be non-existent if the parents don't pursue it with their children.

So, although I began the fall dreading my task, I've come to embrace it. Nothing feels better than instilling a love that you have into a young life and watching it grow. Bring on the next class!

No comments:

Post a Comment