Taking Life One Step At A Time

Taking Life One Step At  A Time

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Success!!

I have discovered a new ability of mine through homeschooling.

When we began, I was terrified about teaching my daughter how to read. Our two oldest boys had spent their early school years in the public school system and I was afraid that I might somehow hold my sweet girl back by beginning to homeschool her in kindergarten. What if I didn't pick the right program? What if I didn't notice that she had missed something important? Would I even know if I had done it right before it was too late?

My oldest basically taught himself to read. We never had to work with him and he was reading before kindergarten. My second really struggled. He slipped through first grade still somehow only reading at a kindergarten level. His teacher said he was doing fine. I shudder at the memory of trying to begin with the basics in second grade and his frustration over poor grades and his inability to read well. Would my daughter also have that same experience?

So many worries.

Today, however, I sat with a big grin on my face as she read to me. That's been happening daily. She's now in first grade and is reading well. When she doesn't know a word, she stops and sounds it out. She has the tools to figure out most words. She loves reading and I often find her with a book in hand, cuddled up on the couch, reading to herself.

It's a side of homeschooling that I'm proud to say I now know I can handle. I'm not afraid of teaching my youngest now that I've succeeded with his sister. I have successfully passed on a love of books and a delight in discovering new stories.

Yes, I can do this!

2 comments:

  1. Ali, I'm not sure what curriculum you're using with the kids, but we have found a reading program that we really like. It's called "Teach Your Child To Read in 100 Easy Lessons". There are pros and cons to the book, but it's worked well for my family. Even though we haven't "officially" started school with Silas yet, we have started going through that book with him to make "real" school easier on Momma next year! It's going great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janel, I have heard of that curriculum and know several friends who love it. I did look into it and found it confusing for me to teach from. We've been using the ABeka language program and the kids are really doing well with it. I think as long as you know how your children learn, you'll pick a good curriculum for them. :) Way to go on starting early! Good work!

    ReplyDelete