Taking Life One Step At A Time

Taking Life One Step At  A Time

Friday, November 26, 2010

Christmas is Coming, The Goose is Getting Fat ...

Today begins Christmas season at our house. We'll head out soon to chop down our Christmas tree and then will spend the day listening to Christmas music as we decorate the tree and house. I love this day. And even though we'll be out of town for the rest of the weekend, we just had to fit in our annual tree day today.

In honor of the day, I've answered several questions about the holidays. Happy Christmas season!!


1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate? Both! Egg Nog on Christmas Day and Christmas Eve. Hot Chocolate every day. And coffee is the favorite. Not just any coffee: Caribou Decaf. Ahh, my body relaxes just thinking about it!

2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree? Santa doesn't come to our house. It's not that we've ever really told the kids he's not real, we just don't talk about him. So, they know that all gifts come from us or other family members. And, all are wrapped! We sort of pretend stockings come from Santa, but the kids know that although Santa is fun to pretend about, he's not real. We really just don't mention him and they are none the worse for it.

3. Colored lights on tree/house or white? I have a dream of putting up beautiful white lights outside, but it rarely happens. We often string up one tree, but this year we are even lazier and don't want to go out in the cold to do it. In the house we use color. You just can't get any better than sitting in a dark room with soft Christmas music in the background, and gazing at the beautiful colored lights.

4. Do you hang mistletoe? Umm, yeah. Any reason to kiss my man is a good reason. :)

5. When do you put your decorations up? ALWAYS the day after Thanksgiving. Gotta get the benefit of the whole season!

6. What is your favorite holiday dish? Besides cookies? I'd have to say our traditional meal of standing rib roast and yorkshire pudding. See tomorrow's post for the recipe.

7. Favorite Holiday memory as a child? Seriously doubt it's possible to pick one. Could be the Big Wheel when I was four, or my first Cabbage Patch Kid, or having family around, or seeing my kids' excitement, or taking communion at the stroke of midnight on Christmas morning. Choose one ... any of those will do.

8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? When I saw a price sticker left on a toy in my stocking. Santa has elves. He doesn't need to shop.

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? As a kid I did. And my kids do now. But as an adult I like to save all my gifts for the big day.

10. How do you decorate your Christmas tree? With lights, sometimes ribbon, lots of old, cherished ornaments, new ornaments for each child each year, and of course a tree skirt.

11. Snow! Love it or Dread it? Mostly love it. Just hate shovelling it. I'll forever be indebted to the person who can convince my husband to buy a snowblower. I think we're the only family in Wisconsin without one.

12. Can you ice skate? You'd think so. But after years of lessons, I'm still about as good as my husband was on his first try.

13. Do you remember your favorite gift? I'm not sure that I could choose a favorite.

14. What's the most important thing about the Holidays for you? Celebrating and worshiping Jesus Christ.

15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert? Ha! I'd have to say birthday cake since that's the only dessert I've ever had on Christmas. Christmas is my birthday.

16. What is your favorite holiday tradition? Every single one of them. We have them as traditions because we love them. If I had to pick one ... reading the Christmas story from Luke before opening gifts.

17. What tops your tree? A crown of thorns. To remind us that Christmas is about Jesus - who came as a baby, but didn't stay a baby. He came to die on the cross for our sins. Remembering that needs to be a central part of celebrating Christmas.

18. Which do you prefer giving or Receiving? Absolutely giving. That's why I love having my birthday on Christmas. I get to give gifts, not just receive.

19. What is your favorite Christmas Song? I could never, ever choose. I love just about every single one of them!

20. Candy Canes: Yuck or Yum? Definitely yum. Especially as an after meal mint.

21 Favorite Christmas Show? Cartoon: The Grinch Who Stole Christmas. Oldie: Miracle on 34th Street. Fun: A Christmas Story. Newer: Elf or the Santa Clause.

22. Saddest Christmas Song? Lyrics: Mary Did You Know? Melody: Lo, How A Rose E'er Blooming (although I love this song).


These questions were all borrowed from Missy at It's Almost Naptime (http://itsalmostnaptime.blogspot.com ) Check it out. The answers are mine, but feel free to copy the questions and make up your own answers. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment